Saturday, May 2, 2009

Central Park Playground




Central park is located on Vancouver Street tucked behind the Crystal Pool. We are lucky enough to have this playground really near to our house and so we know it well.

With a woodchip base, there are two sides to cater to the little and big kids. Speaking of big, I think that this playground might get the prize for the highest metal slide in the city. A four year old friend that recently visited the park for the first time with us almost swooned when he saw how high it was. It usually takes kids a while to work out which way they will get up to the high slide as there are not steps up but a choice of climbing wall, a sort of curved ladder or parallel bars.

On the little kids side there are fun steps, lots of things to climb on including a climbing rope wall and a toddler version of the climbing wall. There are three little kid plastic slides, one with a curve and two small straight ones next to each other. There are two baby/toddler swings and two big kid swings.

There are also a few extra 'things'- no idea what they are called, such as the circle shown in the photo. It spins around like a roundabout but I have never really seen anyone figure out how to really enjoy it because frankly, it's not easy to use. I know that the one time I really got it going I ended up covered in woodchips on the ground. Good job I like woodchips.

Central Park is pretty well kept and there is always a lot going on there between the sports field and courts. There are a few of the extra rides that have disappeared recently- not sure where or why. The playground loses points because there are no public washrooms nearby and the Crystal Pool people don't like you to use theirs.

3 comments:

  1. I believe I know that 4 year old well! It was also well enjoyed by two 7 yr olds and a 10 yr old who spent hours there not wanting to leave!

    It is not often you find a park where children 1-12 can play simultaneously. I second the 8/10 rating because of the lack of washrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you feel about sand. . .I tend to think woodchips always soak up mystery yuck and never rinse clean. . .also I worry about my one year old getting splinters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The surfacing product at this park is actually called Fibar. Much better than woodchips and sand!

    ReplyDelete