Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The smallest playground in town- Sidney


We went to visit the Ocean Discovery Centre in Sidney this weekend because it seemed like a good way to spend a rainy afternoon and when we were packed up in the steamy car about to leave I noticed the smallest playground in town. I had to rub a patch in the condensation on my window and then roll the window down to check that it really was a playground and whereas I am not sure what technically constitutes a playground, I'm pretty sure that this is one.

Thing is, even with my mantra of 'any playground is better than no playground' I didn't bother to get 'A' out of the car because frankly, it didn't seem worth it. Should we have been strolling down the seafront licking ice creams in the sun, I am positive that this story would read differently but it was just me standing under socked-in skies trying not to get my camera wet.

So, [drum roll] here we go......There is a postage stamp of a park at the back of the car park next to the Ocean Discovery Centre. You can access it through the car park which is on Seaport Place where there is, obviously, parking.... or from the waterfront. This playground is more or less just a weird slide on gravel. Not more or less, it is just a weird slide on gravel.

Weird because:
-It is a lonesome piece of equipment on quiet a large gravel patch
-It is a wooden turret and a plastic half pipe slide
-The bottom of the slide is quite a long way from the ground
-It looks like someones granddad made it in his garage

There is a bench for spectators to watch the fun unfold and whereas there are no facilities here, there are lots of stores, cafes and touristy things around. Although I took more than one photo I did not feel I needed to post multiple shots to get the playground across, so I included a couple of jellyfish pictures I took in the Ocean Discovery Centre.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this is NOT a good playground. The "equipment" is not safe for little kids, and boring for big kids. I guess this is the playground people go to when they don't know about the other great playground just a few minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this park is the smallest and worst!! Town of Sidney needs to do something about it...it is not safe!!

    ReplyDelete