Saturday, July 4, 2009

Centennial Park Playground- Salt Spring Island

Centennial Park is located right at the waterfront in the centre of Ganges, the largest town on Salt Spring Island. The park is most famously known for it's Saturday market which draws visitors from far and wide. The playground is tucked in between the market and the water, and is surrounded by trees which provide great shade for parents to stand in on hot sunny days while they wait for their little ones.


On a pebble base, the playground features a climbing structure aimed at big and little kids that has various things to climb up and down, a curly plastic slide, a low double plastic slide and platforms of various levels. It was very busy when we visited and I had trouble getting good photos and even this one needed some doctoring (spray-painted faces) before I was willing to use it.

There are six swings: three big kid and three toddler and there are also a couple more interesting pieces of equipment there. Firstly I should say that it's always fun to find new playgrounds especially during a day trip away, but when we stumble across a 'treasure'....well it always makes my day. Both of the frilly items are old and completely took me back to my youth. Firstly there is a metal rocking horse bench which is peeling and looks like it belongs in a museum, and whereas 'A' didn't even notice it, I almost swooned because I didn't think there were any of these left in the world.



The second thing was another horse, this time a worn yellow metal bouncer which must have been one of the first bouncy things made. It's in a leaping position and it took me a while to figure out that this is a design like one of those bouncy horses on four springs that you'd have been more likely to see in someones home, not in a playground....or maybe on a carousel.



Anyway, this playground might be a bit past it's prime but it has it's charms and is in the lovely and bustling Centennial Park which has washrooms, a bandstand and is nicely landscaped with lots of grassy areas for football or picnics.

Parking is probably okay on less busy days but can be problematical on Saturday's in the summer when tourists, locals and day trippers alike vie for the precious spots.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That rocking horse bench brings me back to my childhood and a playground in my grandparent's small Quebec town that had one of those. I had completely forgotten about that big blue beast of a fun time until now.

    By the way, my husband says there used to be a rocking horse bench in Beacon Hill Park when he was a kid. But that was a loooooong time ago! Muhahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so liiks like the Beacon Hill horse of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete